These lusciously gooey Simple Cocoa Double Chocolate Brownies are my most requested recipe. You can make them as listed or customise them by adding your favourite chocolate bar, nuts or marshmallows.
There’s not much that I love more than a really good chocolate brownie. These are so simple and easy to make that my 10 year old son can make them completely unaided! I also love the you can completely make them how you like by using the standard chocolate brownie mix and then adding whatever fillings you like.
This is one of my most requested recipes and I promised to blog it after Jonathan made a batch for his Cubs’ tea party. Never have you seen brownies devoured so quickly even though they had plenty of competition.
What I also love about them is that you’re not wasting any chocolate in the brownie mix itself as that’s made with cocoa. It’s then up to you what you add. I’ve used milk and white chocolate for the recipe (no nuts for me when it comes to my brownies) but I’ve made them with mini marshmallows, chopped glace cherries, milky ways and mars bars. It really is a case of look at what you have in the cupboards and chuck it in.
Now one of the ingredients is Vanilla Baking Oil. I realise this is something not everyone has, but if you bake then I’d really recommend getting some. I use this all the time and it really does last for ages. You can pick it up in some larger supermarkets or you can buy it online. This is a link for the giant size bottle (here), but it does also come in 250ml
Now without further ado here’s my recipe for Simple Cocoa Double Chocolate Brownies
- 50g cocoa
- 120g butter
- 230g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla oil (or 1tsp vanilla extract and 1tbsp rapeseed oil)
- 60g self-raising flour
- 100g milk chocolate, chopped
- 100g white chocolate, chopped
- Pre-heat the over to 180c
- Line a 23cm square tin with baking paper and put to one side
- Put the butter in a microwavable bowl and heat in the microwave until melted (I do this in 30 sec bursts) of course if you don't have microwave just pop it in a small saucepan and heat instead
- Add the cocoa and vanilla oil to the melted butter and put to one side to cool
- In another bowl whisk the eggs and sugar together until fluffy and pale
- Add the cocoa, vanilla and butter mix and fold it in keeping as much air in as possible
- Now fold in the flour, then mix in the chopped chocolate (or 200g of whatever you fancy)
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and spread out so it fills the tin
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25/30 mins until a skewer comes out clean from the middle
- Leave to cool in the tin
- Take out, cut up and serve
- I like to decorate my brownies with melted white chocolate, but you can happily leave them as is