This super simple lemon curd is made using the egg yolk only! Perfect as you then have plenty of whites left over for fabulous meringues.
I am a huge fan of meringues, pavlova and now making my own macarons (you can read how to do it too here), which means I would often have surplus egg yolks. This is no big deal if you have an urge to make something custard based (Boston Cream Pie Doughnut Cake anyone?) but if not you probably want to make something with them that is going to have a nice long shelf life.
Homemade Yolk Only Lemon Curd is so incredibly easy to make and you don’t have to just make lemon. I use limes, lemon and lime, I’ve made mango and lime. You could make it with orange, grapefruit … well you get the picture.
It’s not only easy, but it’s also quick and homemade curd tastes SOOOO much better than shop bought. I’m really not a food snob and I love the convenience of ready made for lots of things, so if I say something’s easy and worthwhile, it really and truly is 🙂
Hope you all enjoy, and don’t forget to wash and save all your old jars ready to re-fill with this lusciousness
Yolk Only Lemon Curd
Ingredients (to make one small jar)
- Juice of two lemons (6 tbsps)
- 90g salted butter
- 80g caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- Put the juice, butter and sugar into a saucepan and heat over a medium heat until melted
- Meanwhile in a bowl beat/whisk your egg yolks so they are just one smooth mix
- Once everything in the pan is melted, take it off the heat, pour in the egg yolks and whisk to combine
- Place the pan back on the heat and continue to whisk/mix/stir (I’ve no idea what the real technique for whisking is so don’t worry!) until your curd starts to bubble and thicken
- Once you’re happy with the thickness (I tend to take a bit out with a teaspoon and push it around on a plate until it’s cool to check) pour your curd through a sieve to remove any wayward pips etc and into a bowl
- Then cover with clingfilm so that the film touches the surface of the curd (exactly like with custards) and pop into the fridge to cool
- Personally I like to then decant it into a sterilised jar unless I plan on baking with it straight away.
Yolk Only Lemon Curd is quick, simple and delicious. The end result is great on toast, scones and crumpets. It makes an excellent filling for macarons or drizzled over a pavlova.
I also used my Yolk Only Lemon Curd to make this Lemon Meringue Pie Giant Doughnut Cake !!!