As I’ve mentioned before I don’t like vegetables (see my previous post on how to get crisp sweet potato fries in your oven here ) and it’s something I have incredibly conflicted thoughts on.
Ask me some days and I’ll quite honestly point out that I’m rarely poorly, always have plenty of energy and don’t see why I should force myself to eat things I just don’t like….
Ask me another day and I’ll be in the middle of feeling guilty about my diet and trying to find ways to sneak vegetables into my food.
Plus vegetables look good. Plates look better with a splash of colour and my eyes WANT my taste buds to enjoy some bright orange carrots or fresh green beans. It’s a constant battle!
For Easter Sunday my brother and his girlfriend hosted a wonderful lunch and it was here inspiration struck.
Since we’re all piglets, Giulia had very sensibly created the most wonderful starters to keep us going.
One thing that I tried and loved was her Torta Salata which was like a quiche with ham, taleggio cheese AND COURGETTES !!!! Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last few years I’m sure you’ll have heard talk of courgetti spaghetti/zoodles/courghetti and magical spiralisers and evil carbohydrates, well I’ve obviously ignored all of this but decided that as I loved Guilia’s Torta so much then maybe, just maybe I might be able to find a way of making them work for me.
It was with great fear and trepidation I embarked on creating this dish, but my goodness am I glad I did. So thank you Guilia xxx
Sneaky and Delicious, Bacon, Tomato and Courgette Spaghetti
Ingredients (for 4 people)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsps rapeseed oil (or olive oil if your my Mum)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- 8 rashers smoked bacon (finely chopped)
- 200g dried spaghetti
- 3 medium courgettes
- Put the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, oil, garlic and oregano in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile you can make your courgettes into spaghetti! Now I have a julienne peeler (you can pick on up easily for £3 or so) but you can also use normal grater just watch your fingers please. I cut the top and end off and then just go around each edge of the courgette until I hit the seeds in the middle.
- By now it’ll be time to get your actual pasta on so just cook that according to the instructions.
- You also should now have had your 10 mins of simmering time for your sauce in which case, add the bacon to the pot and now leave uncovered and simmer for a further 5 mins.
- During this time you want to just soften your courgette spaghetti and the easiest way to do this is by stir frying it in a non stick pan. I’ve found you don’t need any oil at all, but then my pan is very non-stick.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it, mix it with your courgette spaghetti until fully combined, serve and top with your sauce.
- Eat and enjoy
I promise you, if I like this, then you will! Those of you that actually like courgettes might even like to exclude the pasta completely, but I really like the mix personally.
Don’t forget to let me know what you think xxx